Understanding Metadata for Authors - Writers Digest 2014
out of 24
Post on 11-Aug-2014
DESCRIPTIONThis deck was presented August 2nd, 2014 at Writer's Digest in NYC. It covers the definition of metatdata, the current metadata environment in the US book business, statistics on why good metadata will help you sell more books, what YOU can do about your own metadata, and links for exploring more.
- Advanced Metadata How Understanding Metadata Can Help You Build Your Business #metadata | @BKGKristen
- Hello! (c) 2013 by Bookigee, Inc. All rights reserved. No distribution or reproduction without permission. Kristen McLean Founder & CEO Bookigee, Inc. @BKGKristen #Metadata
- Metadata, what is it? The current system of metadata What you can do To discuss..... #metadata | @BKGKristen
- Metadata metadata/ met dat/ Noun: A set of data that describes and gives information about other data. #metadata | @BKGKristen
- Current System Massively complex Very messy 347,000 trad. frontlist books 1.8m non-trad. frontlist books 32m books in print Inconsistent data practices No central data clearinghouse
- Data Warehouse Central Data Clearinghouse? #metadata | @BKGKristen Ideally, we would have a central repository where all data is created & distributed
- Data Warehouse Central Data Clearinghouse? #metadata | @BKGKristen
- Data Warehouse Central Data Clearinghouse? #metadata | @BKGKristen Data would be pushed from the book creator to the warehouse, and then retailers would push back information on bad data, or suggestions for enhancements.
- Data Warehouse X Central Data Clearinghouse? #WDCE | @BKGKristen Unfortunately, this is NOT what we have in the US. Data is moving all around in very disorganized patterns, and feedback loops are not effective.
- From the 2012 report: Development, Use, and Modification of Book Product Metadata prepared for the Book Industry Study Group by Brian OLeary, Magellan Media Consulting. Used with permission. The way it should work (now)
- From the 2012 report: Development, Use, and Modification of Book Product Metadata prepared for the Book Industry Study Group by Brian OLeary, Magellan Media Consulting. Used with permission. The way it actually works (now)
- What we want What we have
- Challenges Volume of data Long lead times Pipeline thinking BISAC -vs- keywords Chaotic rights situation Pubdate is end of process- what about updates? #metadata | @BKGKristen
- Why it matters Titles that meet the standard sell 98% more Titles with cover images sell 268% more Titles that meet the standard, have image, and enhanced metadata, sell 2,600 units more Fiction sales are most impacted by poor data
- What you can do If self-publishing, make metadata compliance & edit access a central consideration Monitor & check your books online data regularly Respectfully request corrections & updates quickly when errors occur
- What to ask? Do you comply with BISG metadata best practices? How can I request corrections or make my own updates? How quickly can I expect my changes to take effect?
- 32. Keywords
- Get your own ISBN? Pros: Edit your own source metadata-www.myidentifiers.com Buy ISBNs in series Consistent ISBNs across platforms Cons: Some platforms will require THEIR ISBNs for participation
- BISAC number Book Industry Systems Advisory Committee # The industry-approved list of subject descriptors Important foundation of the book metadata system www.bisg.org/bisac-subject-codes
- Book Jackets Jackets MUST BE DESIGNED for WEB IMPACT Invest in high-quality professional design
- Keywords Quantity & mechanism vary from platform to platform When picking think LIKE YOUR TARGET READER In AMZ, search-in-book makes all the text keywords
- URLs we talked about www.myidentifiers.com (Directly edit ISBN information in Books in Print at BowkerYOU must be the ISBN owner) www.selfpublishedauthor.com (Another site run by Bowker to help self published authors do a number of things including edit ISBN info, ebook conversion and much more.) www.bisg.org This book industry trade association manages ISBN, metadata standards, and BISAC for the US. Here you can find info about the 30 standard metadata fields that you SHOULD have complete for any book, along with lots of other helpful information. http://authorcentral.amazon.com/ This is Amazons central site for authors to manage many aspects of their book data & sales information. Here you can see your sales statistics, edit keywords, add editorial reviews to your books listing and more. In some cases, if you are traditionally published, you will need to have Amazon verify your with your publisher before you can edit any information.
- Thanks! (c) 2014 by Bookigee, Inc. All rights reserved. No distribution or reproduction without permission. Kristen McLean Founder & CEO Bookigee, Inc. @BKGKristen
View more >
Publisher Contributing Writers - Writers . ... The authors and publisher of this digest are not responsible for any injury, which may ... 65 Lacson St., ...
SAAD Digest: Guidelines for Authors - Digest: Guidelines for Authors September 2014 Page 1 SAAD Digest: Guidelines for Authors SAAD Digest is the Journal of the Society for the Advancement of Anaesthesia in Dentistry and has been published regularly in ...
Metadata, Application Understanding, Software Understanding Software Migration ... Repository Implement Repository ... Metadata, Application Understanding, Software Migration